Sunday, June 17, 2012

#78 Rosa- One Hundred Alla Prima Portraits of American Teenagers

                                                                              Rosa
(What are some of the things that are important to you?) "My character and spirituality are definitely important to me.  My family and the kids that I work with at Urban Promise."  (Advice for other teens) "I would say to worry more about what's important instead of stressing about the little things.  Love life and be brave."   (What do you think is the most difficult issue kids are faced with today?)  "What happens after high school, or what they have lived through during high school such as foster kids with no parents or kids with abusive parents."

Rosa is a "Street Leader" with Urban Promise in Camden, NJ. The StreetLeader Program offers employment to Camden-area teenagers to work as counselors, tutors, mentors, disciplinarians, and role models for children in the After School Programs and Summer Camps. Street Leaders are encouraged to stay in school, attain job skills, and avoid negative life choices such as early parenthood, drugs, and the penal system.

 I loved painting this portrait, I loved her glasses and painting the ipod headphone. I always agonize over technical things that I didn't do or get to; in this painting I think I need a soft transitional value along her jaw, and another "turning" value between the front plane and the side plane of her face in light.  But I caught her likeness and something about her, and I'm happy about that.

2 comments: