Tuesday, January 24, 2012

#52 Vincent- One Hundred Alla Prima Portraits of American Teenagers

                                                                           "Vincent"

(Some of the things that are important to me are) "Music, food and family".

Vincent was really friendly and wonderful to work with.  He is studying to be a chef.
The light on the models is pretty intense, and it can be hard on their eyes. It is easier for them to look away from the light. I notice that some of the models naturally look at me, and some don't.  Both ways can create an interesting painting. In the beginning of this project, I thought I would do each portrait with the model looking straight at me, but it has evolved to be whatever seems comfortable for the model.  Sometimes I ask them to look towards the side. I often wonder, does a portrait have a more "universal" quality when the subject is not looking directly at the viewer?  I see many contemporary portraits where the model is looking away, often down to the side. Does this give the viewer a feeling of calm or reverie?  Does this make it more comfortable for the viewer?

No comments:

Post a Comment