Tuesday, January 3, 2012

#49 Eric - One Hundred Alla Prima Portraits of American Teenagers

                                                                              "Eric"
(...things that are important to you) "Listening to music, creating music, my friends, family, Hannah, exploring myself and the world." (Advice for other teens) "Give yourself plenty of room to grow.  Explore, because life is an adventure." (If you could do anything you wanted...) "I would watch a sunrise atop a mountain, spend a week at Camp Woodward, ride a bike across America."

I tried to paint with looser brushwork in this painting. Eric wore a tie-dyed t-shirt and was very laid back;  this helped me to loosen up, too. When I am really aware and sensitive, I can feel an energy field between myself and the model, and in the room. Everything seems to contribute to the experience; the music, the other painters, the day. In the silence of a Quaker meeting there is a similar experience that is  referred to as a "gathered meeting", when the energy is coalesced in the quiet room.  This was one of those days.  Its moments like this that make it all worth it. 

4 comments:

  1. I loved the look of this painting the first minute I saw it. I love what he had to say. Then, what you said made such sense. Yes, it is all worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great painting sesion! The boy looks indeed vere relaxed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous painting, Natalie! Wonderful shadow work!! Love it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It was such a pleasure painting this...thank you!

    ReplyDelete