Thursday, December 8, 2011

#39 Vanessa - One Hundred Alla Prima Portraits of American Teenagers

                                                                               "Vanessa"
(Advice for other teens)"Be yourself, enjoy the simple things in life and don't rush through your youth...I would love to help the earth as well as sick people and animals."

I like this painting very much, it has emotion and energy.  Her hair was a challenge but it turned out alright.  I think I need to push the difference between the values in the lights. When I am painting, the shifts seems strong enough, but later on, they don't.  I had a blue filter over the light for this painting, and I think it helped. The artificial light can be so warm.

I though it might be interesting for anyone following this blog to see some of the artists painting along with me and the studio, Repenning Fine Arts, where this series is being painted. This is most of the Monday night group (missing is Nancy Mullins).

              Mary Zaccone        
                                 
                                                                       Adelaide D'Antonio

                                                                      Katherine Sendecki

                                                 View of the studio from the model's stand,
                                          with paintings by Jim Repenning gracing the walls.

                                                         Our lovely model Vanessa, during a break

6 comments:

  1. I think you really captured the essence of the model. Lovely painting and lovely model!! Really enjoyed seeing other artist's works, too! Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another beautiful portrait. Your group looks like a talented bunch. It must really be fun to paint these portraits with other artists. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Natalie, Lovely painting, as are those of the students. Wish I was there.
    Paul B.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everyone. It is a privilege to be able to do this project, and to paint with such talented and dedicated painters, including Amy! I love these guys!

    ReplyDelete
  5. OMG my cousin Vanessa she's so beautiful. I love her and I also love this concept, and how each artist grasps a different angle of the model. Love the work.

    ReplyDelete