Sunday, December 4, 2011

#36 Yupari - One Hundred Alla Prima Portraits of American Teenagers

                                                                             "Yupari"
(Things that are important to you) "Personal growth, and knowing that I am always progressing in my craft.  Hope for a bright future."

I really wanted this painting to turn out well because Yupari was a full time student at Studio Incamminati at the time, in one of my classes, and a really good artist! I started on a white canvas, which I don't usually do, and rubbed an imprimatura layer of burnt sienna on the canvas and started by wiping out the light masses. I had to start over because I didn't like my first attempt, but its easy to wipe the imprimatura back down.  Fortunately, it turned out well in the end.  I loved painting his glasses. We all miss you Yupari!

4 comments:

  1. I like seeing a more profile view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too. Its really fun to do profiles. I am left handed, so I tend to always do profiles from the sitters left side, so I don't have to work across my arm. I am trying to be aware of the variety of viewpoints in this series, and make sure they are not all the same.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great painting Natalie! I love the subtle shifts of color you have in the face and the shadows. Wonderful work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Brad. I just heard that Yupari will be back at Studio Incamminati this spring, I hope so, he is a very talented and dedicated artist, and we were all sad that he did not continue his studies with us this fall.

    ReplyDelete