Tuesday, November 29, 2011

#32 Dante - One Hundred Alla Prima Portraits of American Teenagers

                                                                               "Dante"
"Teenagers today are concerned with all of the wrong things.  They are materialistic.  There is a lack of individuality and 'feeling' among today's teenagers... appreciate what's around you before its gone."

One of the questions I am often asked is how do I find the models for this project? I saw Dante working in a store in my town, and was struck by his interesting look and his sensitive manner.  He is a musician, and was very interested to see our paintings evolve during the breaks while he posed.

This is painted on alkyd primed linen from New York Art Supply, suggested to me by Rob Liberace for alla prima work. Alkyd paint is a type of quick drying oil paint, and it easier to cover when painting alla prima than oil primed linen, which is initially slippery.  This canvas was pretty absorbent.  The right surface to paint on is a very individual thing for each artist, and depends on various aspects their technique, including how thick their paint is and what kind of medium they use.

2 comments:

  1. Awesome portrait Natalle! I like how the shadows pick up some of the blue background. Also, I love how you treated the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Brad. I am still working out how I want to deal with hair. I like to keep things simple, in masses, rather than individual strands. I am trying to learn more about brushwork for things like the hair.

    ReplyDelete