Sunday, May 8, 2011

Katie #18 - One Hundred Alla Prima Portraits of American Teenagers

                                                                              "Katie"


"Teenagers are concerned with fame, money, glory, success, and to be the best. My advice would be to look for truth inside oneself." 


Happy Mother's day to all of you who are moms, and to all of our moms!Part of the inspiration for me to do this project was my own children, who were both away in college this year.  This was the first year in 21 years that I did not have children under my roof, and I have mixed feelings about it.  I love having room to breathe and more time to devote to my art work and my husband, but I miss them a lot and sometimes the house feels empty without them.  Painting these teenagers has been a helpful way for me to go through this life transition.   I loved Katie's expression in this painting, she was proud, beautiful and elegant.

2 comments:

  1. I love the play of the warm/cool colors. What was your light source? And, gosh, I can relate so well to your post! The good news is...they always come back home. Even if it's just for a good meal and clean laundry!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Amy,
    I am using a warm artificial light, one that I bought at home depot. I recently purchased one that is a little cooler, I need to research this more. There are many different kinds of "balanced" lights you can buy. I have tried a blue filter over the light, but this can make it seem too cool.
    Both kids are back home for the summer and its nice to have them back, but its funny how I have to get used to all of the "stuff" again. I had gotten used to a quieter life around here...

    ReplyDelete