Sunday, April 17, 2011

Kayli #16 - One Hundred Alla Prima Portraits of American Teenagers

                                                                          "Kayli"

"Love yourself the way you are and always wear a happy face no matter the odds."

This painting was really fun to paint, the colors were really exciting and I felt very inspired by Kayli's look and fun spirit.  I loved the strong colors in the shadows of her pink shirt, and the colors in her skin tones.  I used two light sources in this painting, and put a cool blue filter over the main light, which created an interesting effect.  The second light was directed into the shadows and made them lighter, and there were lots of beautiful reflected lights.  I would love to paint a series of her like this, in different poses.  Her dark eyeliner accentuated her cool look.

4 comments:

  1. I, too, love the bright colors. Do you chose the background to complement the teens clothes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pam. I usually choose the background colors in response to the model's clothes, hair color and skin color. I don't think about complementary colors, just what feels right. I also respond to a feeling about the model. I had one model who seemed angry, not at me, but I felt an intense air surrounding her. I was aware of this when I choose a really strong color for the background.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really love this one!!

    ReplyDelete