Sunday, April 24, 2011

Ginny#17 - One Hundred Alla Prima Portraits of American Teenagers


                                                                               "Ginny"

Happy Easter! We couldn't ask for a more beautiful day in South Jersey, or more of an expression of renewal and rebirth.  Ginny arrived for this sitting wearing a black hoodie and black T-shirt. I loved her look! The feeling I got from her was independence and strength, and I choose the red background to express this and also to complement her dark colors.  I tried to leave strong splashy strokes of color in the background to capture her energy,  using long, floppy Langknickel sable brushes to do this (5590 series). I used them throughout the painting, and it forced me to work in a different way, which is part of what I want to push myself to do in this series. Its amazing how easy it is to keep doing the same thing, unless you consciously try to do something different.  I find switching materials and tools helps me to stretch and experiment, but it can feel out of control for I while.  I am getting more comfortable with this feeling, and am able to ride it out. Unexpectedly, I am learning patience.  This painting is done on Frederick's "Rix" linen, toned with lead white tinted gray.  It made a great surface.

2 comments:

  1. Like the looseness and strong red in the background and the repetition of blue from the underpainting into the hair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Pam. I like the way this background came out.

    ReplyDelete