Thursday, March 24, 2011

# 10 Mack - One Hundred Alla Prima Portraits of American Teenagers

                                                                                "Mack"

"Teenagers are concerned with nothing but materialistic ideals, of which I don't agree.  Try to look at things on a larger scale."

I am still working out my alla prima process, and I want to experiment with working in a more painterly way.  This painting feels a little too safe; I want to experiment and try to work in new ways but I am not sure how I am going to do this yet.  I have a quote from choreographer Twyla Tharp on my refrigerator  to help guide me. "Venturing out of your comfort zone may be dangerous, yet you do it anyway because our ability to grow is directly proportional to an ability to entertain the uncomfortable". 

5 comments:

  1. I really like the quote and rings so true with me. I was wondering why you felt this work was too safe? It's really lovely. Am so interested in the artist's process.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Natalie, This is a beauty. Great colors and beautiful work around his mouth. I can't wait to see the next one. Lea

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Lea and Amy. Amy, what I meant by "safe" is that I did not experiment in this painting, and of my goals in this series is to experiment and try new things. Experimenting is one of the methods I want to use to learn and develop new skills.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the painting is beautiful and very realistic, I'm waiting for him to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, I appreciate your comment!

    ReplyDelete